What kind of financial help can I get if my loved one was killed in a car crash?


If your loved one has died as a result of a crash that was the fault of another driver, you have an immediate right to sue the at-fault driver. You are also entitled to no-fault survivor benefits as compensation for your loss.

No-fault coverage provides coverage for funeral expenses.

The Minnesota No-Fault Act requires automobile insurance companies to provide for up to $5,000 for funeral expense coverage to include such items as a casket, burial, flowers, and an organist or another musician.

No-fault provides wage loss benefits.

No-fault wage loss benefits may provide compensation to your family for the loss of an individual who was an economic provider in your household. If your deceased loved one provided for the rest of the family, you may receive up to $500 per week for a maximum of $20,000 in survivor's no-fault wage loss benefits.

The surviving dependents may also receive other contributions of money or economic value from the decedent via no-fault benefits. These contributions could come in the form of:

  • Insurance benefits
  • Disability coverage
  • Pension plans
  • Keogh plans
  • Household business proceeds
  • Daycare services
  • Routine household services
  • Wage replacement plans
Lord + Heinlein is Your
Powerful Legal Voice
Contact Now