What are the first things I should do if I am in a car, truck, or other motor vehicle accident?
If you are able, do the following immediately:
- Get out of your vehicle to solicit help and information from the other driver.
- Call the police immediately and ensure a report will be made regardless of the extent of damage to the automobile or the injuries to the drivers and passengers.
- Obtain the name of the other driver(s), passengers and witnesses.
- Obtain the information of the other driver's insurance information, home address, and phone number(s).
- Seek medical treatment immediately.
- Call your insurance company to inform them of your accident. They will provide you with an adjuster assigned to your case and a claim number which can be used for billing of medical expenses. If you are injured in an auto/truck crash, you should have your medical treatment billed to your no-fault automobile insurance rather than your health insurance. If your bills exceed $20,000, then have your medical treatment billed to your health insurance.
- Contact an attorney to ensure your right to recovery is protected.