What are examples of false claims submitted by health care providers?
EXAMPLES OF CLAIMS SUBMITTED BY HEALTH CARE PROVIDERS THAT ARE CONSIDERED TO BE FALSE CLAIMS:
1. Billing for services not rendered
2. Duplicate billings for the same services
3. Altering claims
5. Reporting false employment hours and providing false time sheets
6. Duplicate claims for a single service
7. Unbundling (submitting bills in a fragmented fashion in order to maximize the reimbursement for various tests or procedures
8. Excessive services (providing services that are not needed by the patient)
9. Medically unnecessary services
11. Upcoding of billings (billing for an item that was more than was needed)
12. Overpayments that are retained, or overcharging for medical procedures and treatments.